Nonprofits & Activism

How to avoid catching prickly emotions from other people | Jessica Woods

Visit to get our entire library of TED Talks, transcripts, translations, personalized talk recommendations and more. Difficult emotions can get under your skin if you’re not careful. Sport and performance consultant Jessica Woods calls this the “jumping cholla effect,” inspired by a sneaky kind of cactus that detaches and burrows its spines into unsuspecting passersby.…

CYBER TECH TV

Difficult emotions can get under your skin if you’re not careful. Sport and performance consultant Jessica Woods calls this the “jumping cholla effect,” inspired by a sneaky kind of cactus that detaches and burrows its spines into unsuspecting passersby. In this empowering talk, she shares four mood-regulating strategies to help you gain self-awareness of your feelings, avoid catching other people’s emotions and perform at your peak — whatever the prickly situation may be.

The TED Talks channel features the best talks and performances from the TED Conference, where the world’s leading thinkers and doers give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes (or less). Look for talks on Technology, Entertainment and Design — plus science, business, global issues, the arts and more. You’re welcome to link to or embed these videos, forward them to others and share these ideas with people you know.

TED’s videos may be used for non-commercial purposes under a Creative Commons License, Attribution–Non Commercial–No Derivatives (or the CC BY – NC – ND 4.0 International) and in accordance with our TED Talks Usage Policy (). For more information on using TED for commercial purposes (e.g. employee learning, in a film or online course), please submit a Media Request at

1. Avatar

Jhon M

February 17, 2021 at 7:09 pm

You would think that the country who created behaviorism would be a little better at psychology.

2. Avatar

Christina Lee

February 17, 2021 at 7:10 pm

This is brilliant. It took me a while to have these realizations on my own. It’a so cool that she presented on this topic. So useful!

3. Avatar

Sabin

February 17, 2021 at 7:11 pm

Strategy #1: learn to lie to yourself. #2: become a robot. Yup, I’m going to take psychology advice from someone who says “expecially” and “excape”. No thanks.

4. Avatar

Pinned by Youtube

February 17, 2021 at 7:22 pm

My boss: You’re late again.
    Me: Ok. So what? NOW WHAT?!
    Boss: You’re fired

5. Avatar

Thomas Hughes

February 17, 2021 at 7:34 pm

I learned nothing new here except labels and jargon for existing understandings. Thank you for elevating me to the knowledge that I have what it takes give a TED Talk on my two of my pet topics.

Ø Ø

February 17, 2021 at 8:43 pm

You are so far beneath me, saying things that I already know. My knowledge is so great that I could easily be a TED star.

6. Avatar

Cheemu

February 17, 2021 at 7:36 pm

Bust

7. Avatar

Midlife

February 17, 2021 at 7:40 pm

Yeah none of this works if you have neuro diverse brain.

8. Avatar

J O

February 17, 2021 at 7:45 pm

Thanks for the talk 🙂
    I used a similar framework, when my children were misbehaving and I was fatigued from work. The emotion would hit, I would pause and say mentally the word emotion and let it slip, then the word Mental and think of the best solution for all of us and finally Wisdom, does the solution line up with my morals and who I want to be and how I want them to be.
    It work really well and then I’ll yell at the kids😂

9. Avatar

Michael Garcia

February 17, 2021 at 7:47 pm

Jessica looks nice, DM me sweetie!

10. Avatar

Jessika

February 17, 2021 at 7:58 pm

Can someone please summarize below

11. Avatar

Junaid Khan

February 17, 2021 at 7:59 pm

Distracting luggage she has!

12. Avatar

Chase Randazzo

February 17, 2021 at 8:03 pm

🙏✨💜

13. Avatar

Tijan

February 17, 2021 at 8:25 pm

She’s good

14. Avatar

EdibleOrc

February 17, 2021 at 8:40 pm

Watching this made me thirst for milk.. not sure why…

15. Avatar

chiko98

February 17, 2021 at 9:29 pm

Text book robot. No actual life experience. Reading from a script/teleprompter.

16. Avatar

DEM4RCO

February 17, 2021 at 9:31 pm

I so can not relate, guess this works differently when you’re a dude….?

17. Avatar

Master Mind

February 17, 2021 at 9:49 pm

I had to learn similar techiques (without really knowing) while living with my daughter, know 2.5 years old. The extra difficulty: childs behavior often seems so unlogical, and these little cute kids wont let you always help them if you feel its needed. This can be so annoying, puzzling, embarassing and much more, all at the same time…

18. Avatar

chyko records

February 17, 2021 at 10:15 pm

So many disturbing things in this video,, :3

21. Avatar

Yussif Jaber

February 17, 2021 at 10:59 pm

This video was quite a mess. She should have had her conclusion, where she had the meat of the video, at the beginning then give examples throughout.

22. Avatar

Scott Adams

February 17, 2021 at 11:44 pm

I love what she is trying to convey but I am distracted by her beauty!!! It’s hard to focus.

23. Avatar

Michael Deering

February 17, 2021 at 11:45 pm

She grabbed a cactus! That disqualifies her to give me advice.

24. Avatar

Adrian

February 18, 2021 at 12:27 am

Good video, valuable and timely (social media can have similar dynamics, despite the lack of face-to-face contact).

25. Avatar

Laura Saikia

February 18, 2021 at 12:33 am

I agree with the ‘So what..’. Could we have examples?

26. Avatar

AJAY PATEL

February 18, 2021 at 4:21 am

Will you please explain all that…
    Examples are relatable but the rest of it is jargony and boring.

27. Avatar

PrK Zoomin

February 18, 2021 at 4:26 am

Life is about creating and living experiences that are worth sharing. – Steve Jobs

28. Avatar

Erika Visca

February 18, 2021 at 5:07 am

Well i think this is not for me. I always gave excuses for people for what they did to me. It sucks

29. Avatar

•Magic Abby •

February 18, 2021 at 5:53 am

Ted jus be letting anyone talk 😭😭

30. Avatar

A drian

February 18, 2021 at 6:19 am

Only clicked cos of the thumbnail and top

31. Avatar

Corey Derochie

February 18, 2021 at 6:37 am

Kinda wondering why she’s talking in a locker room?

H T

February 18, 2021 at 8:19 am

I think because she mentioned how this can be important for the outcome for many sports.

32. Avatar

0 0

February 18, 2021 at 6:43 am

Love the two random jerseys to make it feel real.

33. Avatar

Christopher Britt

February 18, 2021 at 6:55 am

Hope they watched this

34. Avatar

Kyrsten Athan

February 18, 2021 at 7:02 am

Thank you for sharing!!!

35. Avatar

Teva Wiese

February 18, 2021 at 7:23 am

They should teach this in high schools

36. Avatar

Frank Langrell

February 18, 2021 at 8:28 am

Audio is wrong . Ouch

37. Avatar

diverstalent

February 18, 2021 at 10:27 am

Yeah

38. Avatar

Rob Vallozzi

February 18, 2021 at 10:59 am

I don’t understand why during the pandemic no one knows how to you use a proper mic 🎤 🤦‍♂️

39. Avatar

OJ W

February 18, 2021 at 11:30 am

A well spoken and delightful individual would enjoy working with her

TED

February 21, 2021 at 10:49 am

You can start up with 1K$ and earn 10$k for my directions kindly text me on WhatsApp , +1(*9*1*0*)2*6*0*5*4*5*5.

Dude Sweet

February 22, 2021 at 2:51 am

@TED hm looks legit

40. Avatar

Action Plan

February 18, 2021 at 12:04 pm

ㅗㅜㅑ

41. Avatar

Ar Adithya

February 18, 2021 at 1:30 pm

She talks super

42. Avatar

Susie Khan

February 18, 2021 at 2:36 pm

I wish she would’ve addressed dealing with a prickly person who has control of your livelihood. Otherwise, this is just lessons in patience and diffusion.

43. Avatar

Black Smoke Think-Tank

February 18, 2021 at 3:14 pm

This forever changed my life thank you.

44. Avatar

SimSim

February 18, 2021 at 4:03 pm

This is just a personal experience/opinion and I’m most definetly not a psycologist or something of the sort, so take it with a grain of salt and reflect on it instead of just taking this as a fact and/or lifelesson. (Which you should really do with everything but thats enought of a prelude.)
    So I knew both stratagies beforehand and tend to use them unconciously fairly well. As a matter of fact I think I’m pretty selfaware of my emotions and good at controling them. But in my experience that is not the best thing to do and while I would hate to have my emotions be clearly visible, it’s an important part of my identity and of how people perceive me.
    To me at least it’s espacially stressfull in terms of being in a relationship. Being good at controling emotions came to bite me in the neck and left a crack in my relationship. So actually I’m trying to again be better at expressing my emotions instead of suppressing them.
    Not to say that these stratagies don’t work fine at work etc but it is equally important to know when to give in to emotions and let go. Otherwise unresolved stuff just keeps pilling up.

45. Avatar

Prachi Agarwal

February 18, 2021 at 4:15 pm

I escape from reality as it is no good and doesn’t give me happiness.

I can create situations in my mind which give me pleasure that not really exist .

Yes, I run away from the sadness of the reality and escape into my world , my Dreamworld.

I may look stupid when I laugh alone or may look embarrassed when I laugh in public.

But believe me , now i see no difference between my imagination and reality as the non existent one gives me more pleasure.

Yes I am a dreamer but not the one with closed eyes but rather with open eyes , moving body cuz I am a day dreamer.

And I love to be one but it gives me stress at times as I can’t concentrate on my work wellbut can’t help as it helps me smile brighter.

For all the daydreamers out there .

Amine Sdiri

February 21, 2021 at 9:53 pm

I did escape with drugs, false believes, fake reality, excuses… if you are in a bad place you have the power to change it. Meditation has helped me to accept my reality after it has deteriorated beyond belief (because I had closed my eyes), face your monsters and change what you don’t like.. and please don’t romanticise your situation. Reality is neither good nor bad, It’s what you make out of it. If this is your cry for help then it’s time to fucking wake up!

Prachi Agarwal

February 22, 2021 at 5:26 pm

I didn’t get you

46. Avatar

Asiya K.

February 18, 2021 at 5:30 pm

Cool

47. Avatar

enbytae

February 18, 2021 at 5:49 pm

Dr. Jessica Woods is an accomplished global business, sport and transformational coach, speaker and author. She’s BRILLIANT!

48. Avatar

Ω Louys Ω

February 18, 2021 at 5:54 pm

8:20 “There’s a hint of truth in every thought we have” 9:38 “Ok, so what, now what”
    I love this video, thank you very much!
    Cognitive reapraisal and Acceptance. Got it.

49. Avatar

Ω Louys Ω

February 18, 2021 at 5:54 pm

8:20 “There’s a hint of truth in every thought we have, but…” 9:38 “Ok, so what, now what”
    I love this video, thank you very much!
    Cognitive reapraisal and Acceptance. Got it.

50. Avatar

Rebecca - lass uns einander kennenlernen

February 18, 2021 at 7:49 pm

1:46 bizarr

51. Avatar

Mo Fa

February 18, 2021 at 10:21 pm

The same jumping cholla story happened to me, except that what I thought was strawberry plants turned to be stinging nettle.

52. Avatar

WilL CC

February 19, 2021 at 2:33 am

Great thanks, it helps 🙏

53. Avatar

Jack Anderson

February 19, 2021 at 5:53 am

Sorry, I don’t take socialization advice from sociopaths

54. Avatar

Pun Master

February 19, 2021 at 5:59 am

So far I’m hearing good news that a bunch of assholes that went to Iraq to terrorize the locals got killed.

55. Avatar

민무

February 19, 2021 at 1:04 pm

Girl crush “so what”

56. Avatar

Scotty

February 19, 2021 at 1:47 pm

This was seriously amazing, thank you!

57. Avatar

TheGrmln83

February 19, 2021 at 2:52 pm

I believe that this practice is why Mr. Rogers was so rarely upset about anybody.

TED

February 21, 2021 at 11:02 am

Starr up with 1k and earn profits of 10k +1(*9*1*0*)2*6*0*5*4*5*5.

58. Avatar

yukuhana

February 19, 2021 at 11:07 pm

Examples helped. Thanks!

59. Avatar

VaMonarch

February 20, 2021 at 10:19 pm

Thank you! I am a trainer/OD consultant in healthcare. I often encounter leaders that have empathy that can work against them. I will teach these tools to help them support their teams with care, while also managing their own emotions and well-being.

TED

February 21, 2021 at 10:55 am

For my directions +1(*9*1*0*)2*6*0*5*4*5*5.

60. Avatar

Dude Sweet

February 22, 2021 at 2:58 am

It’s funny she sounds (saying excape and expecially) and kinda looks dumb, but says some reasonably intelligent things.

61. Avatar

Scarlet Martinez

February 23, 2021 at 12:41 am

This helped me so much. Thank you.

62. Avatar

TheMrmoc7

February 23, 2021 at 3:33 am

I’ve been a TED fan for over 10 yrs. I haven’t favorited a video in well over several months, maybe even a year. Well done lady, well fucking done.

63. Avatar

Arline George

February 23, 2021 at 12:32 pm

Beautiful impressive amazing talk. Magic can be played with you emotions. Great people like you should rise n shine. Thank you, bless you. All your dreams come true.

Nonprofits & Activism

3 ways to upgrade democracy for the 21st century | Max Rashbrooke

Visit to get our entire library of TED Talks, transcripts, translations, personalized talk recommendations and more. Democracy needs an update — one that respects and engages citizens by involving them in everyday political decisions, says writer and researcher Max Rashbrooke. The TED Talks channel features the best talks and performances from the TED Conference, where…

CYBER TECH TV

Nonprofits & Activism

How technology changes our sense of right and wrong | Juan Enriquez

Visit to get our entire library of TED Talks, transcripts, translations, personalized talk recommendations and more. What drives society’s understanding of right and wrong? In this thought-provoking talk, futurist Juan Enriquez offers a historical outlook on what humanity once deemed acceptable — from human sacrifice and public executions to slavery and eating meat — and…

CYBER TECH TV

What drives society’s understanding of right and wrong? In this thought-provoking talk, futurist Juan Enriquez offers a historical outlook on what humanity once deemed acceptable — from human sacrifice and public executions to slavery and eating meat — and makes a surprising case that exponential advances in technology leads to more ethical behavior.

Nonprofits & Activism

The US is back in the Paris Agreement. What’s next? | John Kerry and Al Gore

Take action on climate change at . On his first day as president, Joe Biden signed a letter of acceptance that set in motion the 30-day process for the United States to re-join the Paris Agreement on climate. On the day the US returns to the accord, John Kerry, the US Special Envoy for Climate,…

CYBER TECH TV

Take action on climate change at .

On his first day as president, Joe Biden signed a letter of acceptance that set in motion the 30-day process for the United States to re-join the Paris Agreement on climate. On the day the US returns to the accord, John Kerry, the US Special Envoy for Climate, sits down with Nobel Laureate Al Gore to discuss the make-or-break decade ahead of us. Listen as Kerry lays out how the US fits into the global plan to get to net-zero emissions, explains why the COP26 UN climate conference could be humanity’s “last best hope” to build international momentum and explores the role of business and youth activists in promoting environmental justice. (This interview features an introduction from Christiana Figueres, the principal architect of the Paris Agreement.)

Countdown is TED’s global initiative to accelerate solutions to the climate crisis. The goal: to build a better future by cutting greenhouse gas emissions in half by 2030, in the race to a zero-carbon world. Get involved at