Popular Science

A caffeine detox destroyed me || Test Dummy Ep. 3 || Popular Science (#stayhome and #learn #withme)

CYBER TECH TV

Caffeine is the most widely used psychoactive drug on the planet. Like all good things in this world, it should be consumed in moderation—but PopSci editors Jess Boddy and Claire Maldarelli were definitely not following that unwritten rule, guzzling between six and ten cups of coffee per day. That put them at risk for disrupted sleep, heart palpitations, unusual nervousness, and more. So they decided to detox. Will their torturous 14-day cut regulate their sleep patterns and teach them to respect caffeine for the powerful drug that it is? Find out on this week’s episode of Test Dummy.

for more Popular Science on YouTube ►► …

For exclusive episode sneak peeks and live Test Dummy updates, follow Popular Science on Instagram ►►

Video by : Jess Boddy
Senior Producer : Tom McNamara
Online Director : Amy Schellenbaum

Editor-in-Chief : Corinne Iozzio

#Popular Science (Magazine) #PopSci #popularscience #magazine #science #caffeine #coffee #blacktea #endorphins #detox #14daydetox #cleanse #sleep #insomnia #addiction #brainfog #memory #productivity #seltzer #anxiety #depression #neurotransmitters #beverages #wellness #blakelively #naomicampbell #tombrady #psychology #exercise #blackcoffee #yerbamate #kombucha #neuroscience #thebrain #fatigue #theflu #muscleaches #headache #migraine #withdrawal #caffeinewithdrawal #caffeinewithdrawalsymptoms

1. Avatar

theylied1776

April 14, 2020 at 2:42 pm

I have never seen the point in overalls?

2. Avatar

Steven H

April 14, 2020 at 2:46 pm

There is much, much more to the mechanism behind what caffeine does to the brain, adrenals, and the cascade of hormones behind it all…. Cortisol, aldosterone, insulin, and a mariad of others.

3. Avatar

Benjamin Jerew

April 14, 2020 at 2:56 pm

every few years or so i have to detox. stopping cold turkey is a horrible experience, but then i can go back to a single cup of espresso after 3 weeks. “i don’t feel dead inside” hahaha! but it has to be done!

Scarlett Morrocco

September 7, 2020 at 2:29 pm

Lo e natural medicine, this week is ladys nite @ telegram vallartopia.org
      Cya

4. Avatar

Arnav Shukla

April 14, 2020 at 3:18 pm

I just hope the “science” part of this show would be more articulate and organised in the future. Have been a reader of popular science since my school days and would very much like to see the channel grow. I know the production team is trying to cater to a broad viewership and it’s hard to balance empirical analysis with entertainment. Still step up your game girls😊

5. Avatar

BnORailFan

April 14, 2020 at 3:34 pm

I’m in trouble. I just drank some tea and had a caffeine pill before I saw this video was available. Though I only have about 120 mg per day not 400!

Scott Concertman

December 26, 2020 at 12:01 pm

Do they still make speed? _Black caddies were my favorite Bing Bing Bing pill._ 🤪

Jell O

January 26, 2021 at 10:04 am

caffeine pills completely wrecked my adrenals after a year of continuous use @ 100-200mg. I say stop while you’re ahead. Once you start feeling massive fatigue no matter how much caffeine you take is when you know your adrenals are stressed the hell out. If you must I’d just stick to coffee or tea because it takes longer to drink.

6. Avatar

gregory burczyk

April 14, 2020 at 3:40 pm

when i quit i cant get out of bed for a few days.

Scott Concertman

December 26, 2020 at 11:55 am

_Well you better keep away from morphine then because you’ll be addicted to bed._

gregory burczyk

December 27, 2020 at 2:46 am

@Scott Concertman tried that as a teen. not a good experience.

Jell O

January 26, 2021 at 9:53 am

@Scott Concertman I was fed liquid morphine at the hospital and it didn’t work that well compared to benzos.

Jell O

January 26, 2021 at 9:55 am

I’m 17 days caffeine free and it’s still very hard to get out of bed. It takes me 5 hours for the grogginess to go away. I heard it take 6 months – 1yr for your hormones to get back to normal once you quit caffeine but some people experience moderate improvement in 2-5 months.

7. Avatar

becomepostal

April 14, 2020 at 4:24 pm

That’s not how you stop coffee. You must do it gradually.

8. Avatar

kd1s

April 14, 2020 at 8:17 pm

There’s also caffeine in black tea, coca-cola, etc. So a lot more people are addicted to caffeine, including me. That said here in the U.S. we’ve been drugging ourselves with both illicit and non-illicit drugs for nearly 100 years now.

9. Avatar

Musikaravaa

April 14, 2020 at 9:02 pm

Would you guys post transcripts? I don’t like to watch videos. I know this is an inane place to say that, but I frequently just don’t consume content because it’s in video format when I could read it in 1/3rd the time.

Jamie White

April 14, 2020 at 10:40 pm

You can change the video speed.

10. Avatar

DaytimeSpecial

April 15, 2020 at 1:51 am

This channel should be called anecdotal science

11. Avatar

Daniel Vance

April 15, 2020 at 5:24 pm

I cut out caffeine nearly 25-years ago now because of a rare kidney disease diagnosis. When at a restaurant, I often order root beer, expecting it to be caffeine free. There are those rare times however that I’ll get my drink and it’ll be Barq’s (which has caffeine). Feeling what it does to me, I have no clue how people drink caffeine every day, multiple times per day. And Barq’s has very low caffeine compared to most drinks on the market. Now if you’ll excuse me, I must go take a nap. All this typing tired me out.

Jell O

January 26, 2021 at 10:06 am

I read Muggs rootbeer is caffeine free but Barqs has about as much as a cup of green tea.

12. Avatar

Kent Hambrock

April 15, 2020 at 6:08 pm

I was consuming around 400~mg of caffeine a day for months. Gave it up in February when I discovered the effects high cortisol (caused by excessive caffeine consumption) has on the immune system. During a pandemic, the last thing I want is a controllable habit to make things worse on me. Took me at least two weeks to get over the worst of it. xD Been doing fine, since, though.

100mg is roughly 10oz of fresh brewed coffee or 20oz of instant coffee. I however take my caffeine in the form of gum. 100mg per piece.

13. Avatar

Chris Kenny

April 15, 2020 at 6:44 pm

I ain’t watching 16 minutes of this. What’s the TL;DR?

14. Avatar

Jeremy Marko

April 15, 2020 at 6:48 pm

Are you kidding. Talk about dumbing us all down. This is not informative. Please have some credible people discussing science…

15. Avatar

Michael Ireton

April 15, 2020 at 7:14 pm

Well this was profoundly disappointing and even in these socially isolated times with a lot of free time on my hands, a complete waste of 10 minutes (I skipped over a lot). A lot of giggly anecdotes and precious little substance or actual “science”. Caffeine is indeed a psychoactive drug. There’s still debate about whether it is truly “addictive”–substantive discussion of which might have made this at least somewhat more interesting. At least SOME exploration of the (psycho)pharmacology of caffeine would have been interesting. (Is it possible to overdose on caffeine?) Maybe some discussion of the history of coffee and coffee culture might have added some heft as well. (Who figured out that you could take (toxic) berries, then remove the flesh, then roast the seeds, then grind the seeds, then pour water over the ground seeds to produce a beverage? It seems quite bizarre!) Or perhaps a contemplation of how glibly so many people (including these ones) talk about “needing” coffee, while simultaneously condemning other psychoactive substances might have been interesting. It’s not just hypocritical–it also reveals something about social attitudes toward psychoactive substances in general. Again, some exploration of that might have made this more worthwhile to watch. WHY is coffee so widely socially accepted, while other substances aren’t? WHY do so many people feel like they “need” coffee to get through their day?

Of course, coffee allows workers to be more “productive”–to work harder, faster, and longer. This, of course, is beneficial to business. It allows businesses to extract more (surplus) “value” from their workers. In other words, coffee makes people better worker bees. It has also become big business in and of itself. Some exploration of the economics and labor practices of the coffee industry–including the move toward “fair trade” coffee might have been welcome.

On the purely anecdotal level, I quit all sources of caffeine about 25 years ago, after being a very heavy user. Yes, I went through some “withdrawal”, but I’m glad I did it. Don’t miss it a bit.

David Hays

April 16, 2020 at 12:48 am

(I skipped over a lot) of this wall of text.

16. Avatar

Pople BackyardFarm

April 16, 2020 at 2:09 pm

I only drink 2 cups a day

17. Avatar

Kevin Anderson

April 16, 2020 at 5:51 pm

It is like so helpful to like be able to have like this like science based information like available like on YouTube! You like wouldn’t believe like how many other like science YouTubers leave out the totally like relevant celebrity take on these like important like issues. I mean, I was like OMG! Like J’lo doesn’t even like drink caffeine because she like says that it like destroys her skin! I was like, OMG is that true?!?!

Scott Concertman

December 26, 2020 at 12:05 pm

Thanks so subscribe, give me a thumbs up after a 5 minute yada yada yada intro.

18. Avatar

Keith Olson

April 17, 2020 at 1:07 am

Watching this drinking my afternoon coffee.

Scott Concertman

December 26, 2020 at 12:06 pm

Afternoon coffee enema?

19. Avatar

Popular Science

May 7, 2020 at 3:58 pm

Saturday! Join us when #LIVEMEDAID brings together the scientific community to share ideas about the fight against #COVID19 and raise funds for Doctors without Borders. 🔔 Set reminder: pops.ci/LIVEMEDAIDYT

20. Avatar

John Ferguson

May 13, 2020 at 9:09 pm

I got derealization/ depressed when I quit for 2 month . It was horrible. I’m back drinking coffee

21. Avatar

David R

June 3, 2020 at 7:12 am

That’s good psychoactive ASMR

22. Avatar

David Resetar

June 3, 2020 at 7:12 am

That’s good psychoactive ASMR

23. Avatar

Spontaneous Snowflake

July 24, 2020 at 2:31 pm

This is possibly the most irritating video I have ever watched.

Scott Concertman

December 26, 2020 at 11:57 am

I second that seasick motion. Nails across a chalk board would have been more pleasurable 😳

24. Avatar

Scott Concertman

December 26, 2020 at 11:54 am

Caffeine detox headache? Just take an Excedrin. Not to manage the headache, but because Excedrin contains caffeine.

Popular Science

Get a grip: the science of how tires work in winter

What keeps the tire’s rubber on the road when the weather becomes most foul, the temperature drops, and rain turns to sleet and then snow? A good winter tire requires these three things. Video presented by Continental. ► LEARN MORE about how tires work in winter: #Continental #VikingContact7 #wintertire #science #engineering #tire #ContinentalTire #howtireswork #cars…

CYBER TECH TV

Video presented by Continental.

► LEARN MORE about how tires work in winter:

#Continental #VikingContact7 #wintertire #science #engineering #tire #ContinentalTire #howtireswork #cars #trucks #suv #gripperformance #trackingstability #traction #breaking

Popular Science

The TRUE STORY of Hitchcock’s The Birds | Science Stranger than Fiction || Wild Lives Ep. 2

CYBER TECH TV

LIKE, THIS REALLY HAPPENED. Alfred Hitchcock’s classic THE BIRDS is, in part, inspired by a very real phenomenon that occurred in Santa Cruz, California in 1961. One night, inexplicably, thousands of sooty shearwater birds lost their minds, dive-bombing into homes and even biting people. But, for 50 years, no one knew why… That is, until Dr. Sibel Bargu Ates connected dots throughout history through meticulous (and rather imaginative) archive specimen research. This is a Hitchcockian mystery wrapped in a scientific paper—a biological whodunnit.

And, learn how birds flock and move together. In fact, a 1986 computer program helped solve the puzzle of how they actually fly so close without every bird in a flock ricocheting off each other like pinballs.

Said another way, this is a story all about bird brains.

► WATCH! every single episode of WILD LIVES here:

► THIS IS THE MOST INTERESTING LION IN THE WORLD. After all, how many lions have movies and songs made about them because of never before seen animal behavior? Just one lion—Frasier, the Sensuous Lion… I mean, how is fathering 35 cubs when you’re 20 lion years old even possible?!:

► HAVE YOU EVER WONDERED about what makes an animal hibernate? PopSci formed an orchestra of hibernating animals to tell you about their winter’s sleep:

► DID YOU KNOW the first underwater film ever recorded was lost to history until PopSci found it mislabeled in a Dutch archive? It’s a story too strange to be fiction (and, yes, it involves a shark and a horse). Also, it’s the first footage of a shark ever recorded:

► DO YOU LOVE DOGS? WHAT ABOUT SPACE? Watch our video about Laika, our hero:

In their own words. Well, approximately their own words—they are wild animals after all.

CREDITS
Video by: Tom McNamara
Animation: Beth Wexler
Narrator: Elizabeth Ollier
Executive Producer: Amy Schellenbaum
Editor-in-Chief: Corinne Iozzio

Media
1961 Santa Cruz Sentinel bird invasion photos (courtesy Covello & Covello Photography), Archival gut contents image (2012, Nature Geoscience), “Birds of America” (1917, The University Society), Boids program (1986, courtesy Craig Reynolds), Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1920, Paramount film), Dr. Sibel Bargu Ates, “Gull Island” and “Inishvickillane, Blasket Islands” footage (1942, 1925, Chicago Academy of Sciences), Internet Archives, Mixed zooplankton sample (2019, Adriana Zingone, Domenico D’Alelio, Maria Grazia Mazzocchi, Marina Montresor, Diana Sarno, LTER-MC team), Oral history by Edna Messini (courtesy Capitola Historical Museum, Frank Perry), Pond5, Prelinger Archives, Pseudo-Nitzschia specimen images (NOAA/NWFSC), Santa Cruz Sentinel, “The Birds” (1963, Universal Pictures), “The Vanishing Lady” (1896, Georges Méliès)

Music
APM, Vik Sharma

Dr. Sibel Bargu Ates (Louisiana State University, College of the Coast & Environment, Department of Oceanography & Coastal Sciences), Shmuel Thaler (Staff Photographer, Santa Cruz Sentinel), Dr. Cheryl Baduini (Claremont), Frank Perry (Curator, Capitola Historical Museum), Georgia Chronopoulos (Covello & Covello Photography), Wyatt Young (Santa Cruz Museum of Art and History), Scripps Institution of Oceanography, Frank Gravier (Reference Librarian, Special Collections & Archives, McHenry Library, UC Santa Cruz), Erin Chapman, Josh Engel (Red Hill Birding), Jack Furtado

#AlfredHitchcock #TheBirds #SootyShearwaters #science #biology #ornithology #computerscience #computerprogramming #boids #math #naturalhistory #SantaCruz #1961 #movie #moviehistory #hitchcock #birds #mystery #edu #education #educational #sci #popularscience #FrasiertheSensuousLion #animalbehavior #popsci #science #zoo #zoos #curious #wildlives #wildlife #animal #animals #birdvideo #animalvideo #education #learning #edu #educational #biology #naturalhistory #alfred #allabout #birdfacts #craigreynolds #Ardennagrisea #birdflock #flock #starling #Murmuration #geese #whydobirdsflock #Canadagoose #Brantacanadensis #Sturnusvulgaris #frasier #santacruz #california #montereybay #history #californiahistory #moviehistory #bodegabay #birdsattack #kidscience

Popular Science

This lion defied the laws of nature—and became an icon | L.A.‘s Lion King || Wild Lives Ep. 1

CYBER TECH TV

LION. KING. How a 19 year old lion fathered 35 cubs… in a year and a half. This is the wild story of a lion named Frasier—Frasier the Sensuous Lion—who became a science wonder the world over in 1972. After all, how many lions have movies and songs made about them because of never before seen animal behavior?

You see, Frasier defied what was previously known about lion breeding habits—any animal’s really. Did you say 35 cubs? In just 18 months? And, wait, how old?

► WATCH! every single episode of WILD LIVES here:

► DO YOU LOVE DOGS? WHAT ABOUT SPACE? Watch our video about Laika, our hero:

CREDITS
Video by: Tom McNamara
Animation: Beth Wexler
Narrator: Dave Pettitt
Group Digital Director: Amy Schellenbaum
Editor-in-Chief: Corinne Iozzio

Media
8mm home video of Lion Country Safari (Scott Stodard), “Frasier the Lovable Lion” (Frasier Productions, Inc., Sandler Films, Inc., Four Star International, Inc.), “Frasier (The Sensuous Lion)” (Sarah Vaughn and The Jimmy Rowles Quintet; 1974 Mainstream Records), Getty, “Here Comes the Circus” (1942), “I Love A Parade” (Looney Tunes, 1932), LIFE Magazine, Los Angeles Times, Orange County Archives, Prelinger Archive, Pixabay, “Who’s Who In The Zoo” (Federal Writers Project, 1937)

Music
APM, Vik Sharma

Mary Ellen Amodeo, AZA Reproductive Management Center, Katie Belloff, Jess Boddy, Erin Chapman, Digitize NY, Sonia Epstein, Meg Lampert, Jason Lederman, Lion Center at the University of Minnesota, Lion Country Safari (Palm Beach County, Florida), Steve Oftelie, Dr. Craig Packer, Dr. David Powell, Pat, Donna and Todd Quinn, Saint Louis Zoo, Russ Smith, Scott Stodard, Species360, Zoological Association Of America

#popularscience #FrasiertheSensuousLion #animalbehavior #popsci #science #zoo #zoos #lion #lions #mammal #pantheraleo #Frasier #curious #wildlives #wildlife #sarahvaughan #animal #animals #lionvideo #animalvideo #education #learning #edu #educational #biology #naturalhistory