People & Blogs

A strategy for supporting and listening to others | Jeremy Brewer

Visit to get our entire library of TED Talks, transcripts, translations, personalized talk recommendations and more. As a police officer, Jeremy Brewer interacts with individuals experiencing trauma and loss on a daily basis. Giving us a peek into this little-discussed aspect of the job, Brewer shares thoughtful insights on why respecting people’s space is sometimes…

CYBER TECH TV

As a police officer, Jeremy Brewer interacts with individuals experiencing trauma and loss on a daily basis. Giving us a peek into this little-discussed aspect of the job, Brewer shares thoughtful insights on why respecting people’s space is sometimes more important than trying to fix an unfixable moment — and explains how you can use this approach to support someone when they need you the most.

The TED Talks channel features the best talks and performances from the TED Conference, where the world’s leading thinkers and doers give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes (or less). Look for talks on Technology, Entertainment and Design — plus science, business, global issues, the arts and more. You’re welcome to link to or embed these videos, forward them to others and share these ideas with people you know.

TED’s videos may be used for non-commercial purposes under a Creative Commons License, Attribution–Non Commercial–No Derivatives (or the CC BY – NC – ND 4.0 International) and in accordance with our TED Talks Usage Policy (). For more information on using TED for commercial purposes (e.g. employee learning, in a film or online course), please submit a Media Request at

1. Avatar

Pookie Wookie

January 15, 2021 at 4:42 pm

Thank you for your service 🙏🏽 Wonderful Talk 🇺🇸

2. Avatar

True Crime Queen TV

January 15, 2021 at 4:43 pm

LOVE THE CHANNEL! STAY SAFE EVERYONE 🙏

3. Avatar

Brent Dowland

January 15, 2021 at 4:44 pm

Why do I get the feeling; he’s not listening to me?

4. Avatar

KIANA MCKNIGHT

January 15, 2021 at 4:48 pm

I just posted a vid on mary Vincent’s case if anyone wants to hear how much of a warrior she is

5. Avatar

John Gundaker

January 15, 2021 at 4:49 pm

Wise and even needful talk, respect is such a big deal, thank you for sharing and caring.

6. Avatar

ES Sieg

January 15, 2021 at 5:00 pm

Thank you. This should be sent out to every police department. Respect space. Awareness of highly charged moments, the human experience.

In the beginning of the pandemic, I was bombarded with abusive people, trying to reverse what happened. I couldn’t breathe.

He looked me in the eye and said, “You Saved You” and told me to repeat after him. He saw I was non violent, and that they didn’t even know where I kept my medication or my dog’s name. He was one of maybe 6 officers as I was crying in the lobby with my dog in my arms trembling.

They took me to the psych ward ER, where he explained to the nurse staff what was happening.

I am still traumatized by this, but this one officer, stepping outside the box and staying with me . . . he had tears in his eyes
    He kept having me repeat “You saved you,” helping me breathe in and out. And one more thing he looked at me and said, “they’re doing this because they have to.” I got what he meant.

7. Avatar

Klinsman Lamare

January 15, 2021 at 5:12 pm

Nice one

8. Avatar

Lucianst99

January 15, 2021 at 5:13 pm

Interesting, where I live the Paramedics manage the patient care, death notification etc. Police Officers control the integrity of the scene for the Medical Examiner.

9. Avatar

Skylar Keyon

January 15, 2021 at 5:21 pm

Woow woow 😍💋 💝💖❤️

10. Avatar

Whit

January 15, 2021 at 5:29 pm

Physical touch is never the proper comfort unless you are RETURNING it.

Claire Broadway

January 15, 2021 at 7:18 pm

Context is everything. I think touching family members and friends that you have a trusting relationship with to provide comfort is perfectly good and often welcome. And I say this as someone who is not very touchy feely.

11. Avatar

MrZacchery

January 15, 2021 at 5:58 pm

This is so good.

14. Avatar

george kurgansky

January 15, 2021 at 6:10 pm

This is gut wrenching. I wish for more Policemen like him.

Hippity Hopotus

January 15, 2021 at 7:28 pm

Most police officers are like this man.

15. Avatar

Polandjl

January 15, 2021 at 7:00 pm

This officer, whether he knows it or not, makes THE argument for defending police. The calls he talks about responding to that destroyed him emotionally and that he didn’t know how to handle are calls that he should never have been forced to handle without frankly being a licensed therapist. This poor man has been traumatized by being made to respond to situations he was never trained for, and because of his lack of training, he has traumatized others accidentally. I believe he is a good man, based from the way he talks. A good man with responsibilities he could never be reasonably expected to live up to with his training and pay rate.

Claire Broadway

January 15, 2021 at 7:16 pm

It seems like there should be a licensed therapist that gets called in for these situations, or a police officer that is specifically trained and specialized so there is at least one on the scene. I’m not certain if it would be best served by another org that works directly with the police, or within the force itself, since I’m sure there are times when they can’t always anticipate someone will pass away, and it would be good to have someone that responded to the call that is already trained.

Eve

January 15, 2021 at 7:36 pm

True

Polandjl

January 15, 2021 at 8:00 pm

@Claire Broadway I could not have put it better myself. I totally agree. On calls in which someone is in distress, a licensed therapist should ALWAYS ride along. In my mind. That is the first step of defunding the police. The second step is trading the military gear and training that police officers receive for social programs which will, in the long term, result in many calls in which someone is in distress no longer coming in. It also means that our legal system is not burdened by the homeless, the mentally ill, the traumatized and the poor, because those people will all be receiving the help they need to stand on their own

Ваня Xuльko

January 15, 2021 at 9:08 pm

You mean defunding. We totally need more social care workers, and less police.

Eve

January 15, 2021 at 9:09 pm

@Ваня Xuльko yeah we do 🙂

Mai Britton

January 16, 2021 at 10:17 am

@Claire Broadway In some cities in northern California officers are accompanied with a therapist/social worker. Depends on the funding and citizens asking for what they think their city and “fellow man” needs.

16. Avatar

Rosamunda Dos

January 15, 2021 at 7:21 pm

Gracias por los subtítulos. Muy buena lección. En relación a adaptarse a las situaciones, recomiendo Seis zapatos para la acción de Edward de Bono. Saludos

17. Avatar

gendule King Jr.

January 15, 2021 at 7:47 pm

I have I deal give opportunity to completely too and let’s world hearing about it couz I’m South Sudan boy

18. Avatar

Joe Mullings

January 15, 2021 at 8:03 pm

Thank you for such a powerful message!

19. Avatar

Medicine today

January 15, 2021 at 10:02 pm

I’m medical student and i make scientific videos i only need your support

20. Avatar

Jade Choi - Million Dollar Challenge

January 15, 2021 at 10:07 pm

Interesting. Never thought about this trauma. Thank you for sharing.

21. Avatar

The Mean Arena

January 15, 2021 at 10:09 pm

Too late! The demoralization of American society is too deep.

22. Avatar

Karmen

January 15, 2021 at 10:21 pm

Listening is all about being selfless and making your priority the person in front of you. He mentioned giving that lady a hug and having her retract out of discomfort, at that time he had not thought about the mourning process or asked her if she wanted a hug. So, please always ask questions and never assume.

Crypto love

January 15, 2021 at 10:53 pm

LOVE YOU GUYS ❤️❤️ WRIGHT MY BROKER VERN CALOSS ON WHAT SAPP TO MAKE GREAT RIO IN BTC

His what Sapp
      + 1. 3 0. 2 3. 8. 5. 1. 0. 7. 8💬
      Do well to tell I reffered you to him. his strategies are top notch, he will help you

23. Avatar

j k

January 15, 2021 at 11:02 pm

I sincerely hope that he has someone just as compassionate, when he’s the one receiving the news of death.

24. Avatar

Terry Wheelock

January 16, 2021 at 12:57 am

If you are gonna help someone, “HELP THEM”, if you are gonna support someone, “SUPPORT THEM”, if you are gonna listen to someone, “LISTEN TO THEM”! It ain’t rocket science! 🤣

This guy is JUST BLABBERING! 🤣

25. Avatar

0 0

January 16, 2021 at 1:33 am

Best ted talk in a while. Outstanding.

26. Avatar

0 0

January 16, 2021 at 1:34 am

Every one should watch this! Amazing

27. Avatar

Djaafar HAMIDI

January 16, 2021 at 2:27 am

Thanks for the video Honorable Policeman. It’s a great lesson

28. Avatar

Mathias Reippuert

January 16, 2021 at 2:33 am

I really love hearing these successful people talk!
    They seem so smart, and it’s fascinating that they have managed to build that kind of wealth.
    I’m really excited to get on the same journey, figure out what’s working, and hopefully find the key mechanisms so anyone can obtain that sort of success.
    As long as they are willing to follow those mechanisms.

I’m an entreprenuer and I’ll do whatever it takes to get there, and to uncover the truths.
    if are interested in joining and following my journey, I would be very pleased and one day I will let you know excatly what actions you need to take, in order to succeed.

29. Avatar

Candace Dawn

January 16, 2021 at 4:50 am

I was told in nursing school that it was okay to cry so I did when I helped a patient deliver a stillborn baby.

Leigh Butterbrodt

January 16, 2021 at 6:46 pm

That was good advice. Losing a child has to be the worst pain, unimaginable.

Josh C

January 17, 2021 at 12:15 am

Was the baby…. still born 😈💅🏿

Bhoomi Gupta

January 17, 2021 at 7:05 am

wait
      how did it help deliver a baby?

30. Avatar

Mero Mohamed

January 16, 2021 at 5:28 am

About my misfortune with the men I loved him 3 times and none of them loved me, then I got married and had children, and we disagreed and the divorce was completed. A person appeared recently in my life who told me that I love you and I want to marry you and then came to me saying: I do not feel comfortable in that relationship and we have not talked about it much and we will be able to overcome it easily, I am very sad, because nothing or problem came from me, and since last night I have been I cry with grief for myself, my feelings, and my life that goes by without love or marriage, I am 30 years old

31. Avatar

Tabacchum Taba

January 16, 2021 at 5:35 am

Who love to learn English?

32. Avatar

Adventures with Frodo

January 16, 2021 at 6:02 am

Thanks

33. Avatar

Mai Britton

January 16, 2021 at 6:35 am

Respect space; I work with children and when they fall most of the time they look to me. All ages. Most to see my reaction and some it’s about ego in not crying. I will talk with them when they cry, tell them to breathe or gently rub their back. I empathize by telling them I know its scary when you fall. I respect their space. Its interesting how other co workers ask me how why I dont run to a child and touch them.

34. Avatar

Mai Britton

January 16, 2021 at 6:38 am

Respect space; COVID 19. When out in public if I am closer than 6 ft. I ask if it’s ok to enter their space. In the last 9 months I have only had 2 people move away from me while asking.

35. Avatar

Carmen Batchelor

January 16, 2021 at 11:14 am

👍🏼👍🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼✌🏼♥️♥️ love this!! Excellent…

36. Avatar

Lieve Leysen

January 16, 2021 at 12:17 pm

😊💖🙏🏻

37. Avatar

Sam Youngblood

January 16, 2021 at 4:01 pm

Police work? They just wanna meet quotas, not help people! Toss em in the new jail system part of the prison industrial complex! Make innocent people into Bad people! Watch the Mike wood Jr. on Joe Rogan! We need police! But we need them to stand up for the people who need help, the few arrogant ones stop being vigilantes! Corrupt Policy has destroyed our nation! Taking a family’s last dollar to meet a quota. Falsify tickets-There needs to be reform! Not add to the drug epidemic! Walmart am McDonald’s never paid people the 15$ an hour people still mock today-yet Rent an Cost of living went up as if pay increased! People are losing everything! And you won’t understand till it’s you!

38. Avatar

Gaasuba Meskhenet

January 16, 2021 at 11:36 pm

Defund the police

young gamer

January 18, 2021 at 5:43 pm

39. Avatar

Mr Un Veasna For New Headway

January 17, 2021 at 2:33 am

Hello teacher I am Veasna I am a boy I come from Cambodia 🇰🇭 And you?

40. Avatar

Bhoomi Gupta

January 17, 2021 at 7:14 am

ted talks make us learn so much from other people’s experiences

41. Avatar

Jenny C

January 17, 2021 at 7:57 am

Thank you.🙏❤️

42. Avatar

Sara Vecchiato Faisstnauer

January 17, 2021 at 7:58 am

I wish there were more versions of this according to the culture. I read comments about keeping eye-contact, but in some countries it doesn’t work at all, especially between different genres it can be misunderstood. In some countries people touch each other to signal they are talking to them.

43. Avatar

HOOP-X

January 17, 2021 at 1:13 pm

I hit the like button at 6:08

44. Avatar

Urjjo Bandyopadhyay

January 17, 2021 at 1:45 pm

All BS…All criminals should be gunned down without hesitation that’s how crime is cut….BLM is fake , ALM isn’t!!!

45. Avatar

mays qaoud

January 17, 2021 at 1:56 pm

woooow

46. Avatar

Natarajan AV

January 17, 2021 at 4:08 pm

Good, but not worthy of TED

47. Avatar

R B

January 17, 2021 at 5:42 pm

thank you for sharing your story! what thoughts you got from it, applying different methods in future situations. I really needed to hear this. Great advice!

48. Avatar

Majed Alam

January 17, 2021 at 7:43 pm

I wish the world had more police officers like you 👏🏽

49. Avatar

Ute Beate

January 17, 2021 at 8:44 pm

Thank You so much, You deeply touched me. Love

50. Avatar

HeadshotCraft

January 18, 2021 at 2:16 am

who is TED?

51. Avatar

Royce Liam

January 18, 2021 at 6:01 am

Its no news that crypto exchangers actions has placed digital assets value at a tight space, bitcoin bulls is building up but meeting a stiff resistance and has gone way lower, It is not a time to start slowing down but to take hold of the moment and trade using well analysed signals and strategies. I have always fancied trading, but my inability to analyse the market technically has always limited my scope, but with assistance from experts and seminars i have improved even though am still not that good, One of such such experts i have always admired is James Hamilton, using his strategies and other added knowledge. whatspp (+1 9735246692) provides basic insights needed in understanding trading

52. Avatar

Adi Saputra

January 18, 2021 at 7:02 am

Yang Kesini cuma mau belajar bahasa Inggris like

53. Avatar

Pradeep Chandar

January 18, 2021 at 2:06 pm

Title and video doesn’t match

54. Avatar

The Mental Health Trek

January 18, 2021 at 3:12 pm

We have two ears and one tongue, so that we can listen more and talk less.

Feel free to also check out our great content.

55. Avatar

金诚

January 19, 2021 at 5:35 am

You totally right…people need people when they feel depress,but in China, Chinese police is very irresponsible who only care for murder case and pay no attention for someone psychological problems and family dispute

56. Avatar

61ueSat

January 19, 2021 at 12:00 pm

My English ability is low, so I sometimes miss it. But his way of speaking is very educational! I will do my best for my dreams!

57. Avatar

Gideon Aghahowa

January 19, 2021 at 3:43 pm

The ability to connect to people’s feelings at times most needed is more or less a must-have for all.

58. Avatar

つよぽん

January 19, 2021 at 4:12 pm

寝る前にみてます

59. Avatar

جستجوگر E

January 19, 2021 at 5:15 pm

لطفا فارسی زیرنویس کنید.

60. Avatar

ManGoDemon

January 19, 2021 at 5:38 pm

“ndak ngerti bahasa enggres”

61. Avatar

Gehad Mamdouh

January 19, 2021 at 11:07 pm

I have one question out of the converstion , i want to change the language of talker into Arbice could someone tell me how to do that please?!

Prisha Warikoo

January 31, 2021 at 1:14 pm

Unfortunately there arent arabic captions up yet to this video, but if you check in there should be Arabic captions soon. I dont think theres an option to change the audio though.

62. Avatar

Vame Animations

January 20, 2021 at 9:35 pm

It’s one of these moments at TED Talks where I’m struggling with a like button as the only way to show my appreciation.
    But I can promote it by sharing it, thankfully!

63. Avatar

Ulises Merlos

January 21, 2021 at 4:00 am

message: they want to separate us for that the covid was invented

64. Avatar

Train Kinder - Simple Leadership Hacks

January 21, 2021 at 7:12 pm

Respect personal space, be a better listener, and don’t victimize people for their suffering. Thank you so much for sharing the stories!

65. Avatar

Ralf Güntert

January 22, 2021 at 7:14 am

Many people say their actively listen, but very few do. It is exhausting and does not get easier. I try to repeat what I thought to be important for each person and sometimes make temporary notes. I am annoyed of most people too because when I talk about abuse, they relativize it or start talking about their issues. However, if another person comes to me talking about his or her problem, I do not speak much at all. Only try to focus on remembering what was said and summarize it. Anything short of remembering it in the first place is basically an insult as it took probably many days…hours to just share 5 minutes. Listening also means just that. What may sound trivial to me, could be much bigger for someone else. Everyone, including me, should just admit to be not a good active listener as it is in our nature to dump 80% of our input anyways…

66. Avatar

John Morgan

January 24, 2021 at 3:51 pm

this man is the spitting image of lance armstrong….
    lance armstrong is cool too

67. Avatar

B. Brown

January 27, 2021 at 6:18 am

The role of cops is still the same – catch the bad guys & chuck them in jail. Sane people still believe in this.
    Dumbasses who were coddled by single moomie still believe that the rest of the world is supposed to continue to coddle them from cradle to grave – enabling their psycho/sociopathic tendencies.

68. Avatar

Lori Garcia

January 28, 2021 at 1:36 am

Dear, community service worker. Thank you for your direct and to the point commentary. Unfortunately, I’ve been that person of “ shock and grief “ to many times. Have always been treated with respect (two way street),, your words of being there , just “BE THERE” how simple but impactual. Thank you sir.

People & Blogs

TikTok, Instagram, Snapchat — and the rise of bite-sized content | Qiuqing Tai

Visit to get our entire library of TED Talks, transcripts, translations, personalized talk recommendations and more. Short videos — 60 seconds or less, made and shared on apps like TikTok, Snapchat and Instagram — are more than just a fun way to pass the time; they’ve transformed how we work, communicate and learn. Digital strategist…

CYBER TECH TV

Short videos — 60 seconds or less, made and shared on apps like TikTok, Snapchat and Instagram — are more than just a fun way to pass the time; they’ve transformed how we work, communicate and learn. Digital strategist Qiuqing Tai explores the explosive rise of bite-sized content and forecasts its promise as an economic and social force.

People & Blogs

The joy of shopping — and how to recapture it online | Nimisha Jain

Visit to get our entire library of TED Talks, transcripts, translations, personalized talk recommendations and more. Shopping is about more than just what you buy: it’s a treasure hunt to discover something new, a negotiation to get a great deal, a time to catch up with friends and family. But for many, online shopping has…

CYBER TECH TV

Shopping is about more than just what you buy: it’s a treasure hunt to discover something new, a negotiation to get a great deal, a time to catch up with friends and family. But for many, online shopping has turned the experience into an impersonal, unsatisfactory event. Is there a way to bring back the magic? With exciting examples from companies in India, Thailand and China, consumer expert Nimisha Jain introduces us to “conversational commerce,” a new retail model that combines the convenience of a digital experience with the personalized touch of a real, human interaction.

People & Blogs

Pay off your credit cards faster with these 4 easy changes | Your Money and Your Mind

Whether you want to pay off credit card debt or just prevent yourself from accruing big balances in the first place, there are some simple steps you can take to help achieve your goal, according to behavioral scientist Wendy De La Rosa. Managing your money can feel scary and complicated, but it doesn’t have to…

CYBER TECH TV

Managing your money can feel scary and complicated, but it doesn’t have to be. In this TED series, behavioral scientist Wendy De La Rosa explains why we spend too much and save too little — and shares easy steps to help us achieve a more secure financial future. (Made possible with the support of Wells Fargo)

Watch Your Money and Your Mind with Wendy De La Rosa at